Unfortunately, many developing dental problems, even some quite severe ones appear to be symptomless as the horse ‘copes’ by adjusting eating patterns and disguising any discomfort. Each dental visit is your horse’s one opportunity for 6-12 months to have the mouth and teeth examined really thoroughly for such developing problems – so you need to make sure it is done properly.
Our approach to equine dentistry includes:
- Thorough oral and dental examination – a clinical assessment of the teeth and soft tissues,
- Controlled and careful reduction of sharp points and balancing the dental arcades (rasping, floating, equilibrating etc),
- Further investigation of any identified abnormalities e.g. cavities, abnormal spaces between teeth,
- Treatment of gross abnormalities causing clinical signs of disease e.g. extraction of diseased teeth,
- Treatment of symptomless but developing disease to prevent progression e.g. cavity restoration.
Every horse should receive a 6-12 monthly maintenance appointment to examine the teeth, oral cavity and associated structures, and have any treatment required. This is your horse’s one opportunity in that time period to have any problems identified and recorded. Many minor problems can be corrected immediately, otherwise we can advise on and perform more advanced treatment to prevent development of the problem to a more serious level.
For these reasons, all horses examined by us will have a little sedation. This allows:
- Thorough clinical oral and dental examination
- Complete maintenance treatment (rasping, or ‘odontoplasty’) to correct developing problems and remove sharp points and overgrowths
- Increased safety for horse and owner
- A little sedation provides a safe, controlled, modern and thorough dental consultation.
Dental corrections are performed with modern motorised lightweight instruments, with your horse’s head resting on a padded stand, with direct visual monitoring of procedures. We regularly perform routine maintenance dental treatments for individual horses, ponies and donkeys, riding schools, competition yards and racing stables.
To help you book a group visit, please download a booking form here.
|Zone||1 horse||2-5 horses||6-9 horses||10+horses*|
|1 (up to 30 miles)||£120||£95||£90||£85|
|2 (30-40 miles)||£135||£110||£95||£85|
|3 (40-50 miles)||£150||£125||£105||£95|
|4 (50-60 miles)||–||£150||£135||£110|
(*We treat a number of large yards of 20-100+ horses – for an individually tailored price and routine maintenance plan please contact us )
For local clients, all our maintenance dentistry is performed at fixed prices which include visit, a little sedation, full examination, chart and complete maintenance rasping (and VAT). Please contact us for a quotation for any maintenance routine dental visits for any number of horses, at any location. We are confident that we will be able to offer you the best, most specialist service available.