At EDC we have considerable experience in advanced dentistry and as well as dealing with our own in-house referrals we accept referrals from owners, vets and EDTs across the UK, and Europe. Our services include:
- Video oroscopic examinations (all advanced cases are examined and recorded by oral endoscope camera)
- Oral extractions of cheek teeth, canines and incisors
- Advanced oral and surgical techniques for more challenging dental extractions of diseased teeth – minimally invasive surgical buccotomy (MTE), minimally invasive repulsion (MIR), dental sectioning, coronectomies, oral fragmentation, oroscopically guided fragment extractions
- Sinus surgery – sinus flaps, trephination and transnasal procedures
- Periodontal disease – cleaning, diastema widening, bridging, splinting, guided tissue regeneration
- Cavity restorations for incisors and cheek teeth (e.g. infundibular restorations)
- Endodontic (root canal) therapy for e.g. fractured incisors, canines, some cheek teeth infections
- Orthodontic therapy e.g. parrot mouth corrections in foals
- Maxillofacial surgery e.g. mandibular (jaw) fracture repair
All procedures are performed under standing sedation with nerve blocks and local anaesthesia for pain free treatment. We perform 300-500 advanced procedures per year and have not required general anaesthesia since 2012.
Chris and Nicole regularly lecture on and teach these advanced techniques all over the world. Chris has pioneered novel restorative techniques for teeth, including performing over 600 cheek tooth cavity restorations (‘fillings’) for teeth at risk of fracture with large carious cavities.
We collaborate with human dentists in the development of new techniques including surgical techniques, root canal therapies, cavity restorations and laser therapy. We hope that in developing these techniques, and following research findings and ethical guidelines EDC can help to further advance the science of equine dentistry.